But you aren't a sailor...

Inspired by friends, I've created a list of 101 things I'd like to accomplish in 1001 days. As with most things in life, it's better to go through them with other people, so if you'd like to help me do any of the things on my list, let me know. Thanks for being part of my adventure!

Saturday, November 6, 2010

70. Ask 5 friends for book rec’s, then read read 5 of the suggestions

My friend Anna, the English major, is always reading something (more like several somethings) so I knew she would have some good suggestions for me when I asked her for book recommendations.

So, the first book I picked up was "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society" -- how's that for a mouthful when someone asks "So, what are you reading these days?"

Anna gave me brief descriptors for each of the books she suggested. For this one:

-1940's England, written in letter format. SO GOOD.

Worked for me. World War II era is this elusive yet still salient time in the world's history for my generation, so I am always intrigued by stories and books about that time.

In sum, this book is just delightful. Although it deals with some heavy topics about survivors of WWII, including a concentration camp survivor, the story is primarily uplifting, humorous, and a really fun read. It is, as Anna said, written in letter form. The main character, Juliet, is an author who has been tasked with writing a story to help the people of England transition/cope/remember/process in the immediate post-WWII years. A troupe of diverse and entertaining characters, most of them from an island called Guernsey, make up this novel that seems fairly realistic.

And it definitely made me want to visit Guernsey. Confession: I didn't even realize these small islands off the coast of France in the English Channel existed until I read this book.

1 book down, 4 to go -

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I didn't realize they existed either! Um, way to go, good ole Bulloch education...

    ReplyDelete