But you aren't a sailor...

Inspired by friends, I've created a list of 101 things I'd like to accomplish in 1001 days. As with most things in life, it's better to go through them with other people, so if you'd like to help me do any of the things on my list, let me know. Thanks for being part of my adventure!

Monday, October 4, 2010

29. Get my African elephant image framed

My brother has traveled all around the globe on various medical missions trips and always brings back fabulous gifts from the places he visits. A few years ago he brought me a painting of an elephant family and I have been putting off getting it framed, so I included this on my list so that I'd actually get it done so I could hang it up and enjoy it.

But..I realized when I went to go look for a frame that my "African" elephant image was actually from Thailand. A note that came with it said it was hand-painted with coffee in Thailand and that the image is called "Morning Caravan."

Now, Thailand IS indeed where my brother bought the painting...I just mixed it up. But then I began to wonder...Are there elephants in Thailand or is my painting really of African elephants?

So my trusty old pal Google helped me find out the following interesting facts:

1. Yes, Mary Beth, there are elephants in Thailand.
2. The elephant is actually the symbol of Thailand
3. There are two main types of elephants - African and Indian. Based on geography, obviously elephants in Thailand are Indian elephants.
(Source: http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/elephants_thai.html)

I also found this great website from a man in Thailand who posts pretty amazing pictures of elephants - one for almost every day -- http://www.changthai.com/

A few of their great shots that will make you want to check out the website:







So anyway, I learned a bit about elephants in Thailand after I got my painting framed. So here is the finished result, and it now hangs above my bed (and yep, I didn't feel like making up my bed for the picture, so you just get an image of the framed painting):


No comments:

Post a Comment