But you aren't a sailor...

Inspired by friends, I've created a list of 101 things I'd like to accomplish in 1001 days. As with most things in life, it's better to go through them with other people, so if you'd like to help me do any of the things on my list, let me know. Thanks for being part of my adventure!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

11. Do a one week Facebook fast



Times I wanted to check FB the first day of the fast: 7
Times I dreamed about logging in to FB, thinking I had broken the fast: 3
Things I did instead of being on FB: Google+, Twitter, read more news, looked at magazines, slept, emailed people, updated this blog.
Day of the fast that I realized I am addicted to FB: 2
Day I definitively decided to streamline my FB page and account once this fast has ended: 6

Other observations: It is very difficult to avoid FB completely. Websites I visit show which of my friends "like" that page. Links on twitter go to facebook pages (but I avoided those b/c they are easily recognizable by their url). Articles I read show the number of "shares" on FB that article has had.

IT


IS


EVERYWHERE

And I am not ok with that. I think it has done some good and helpful things in its time, but it is SO far from what it originally was, and has pervaded our culture, our social interaction, and yes, even our minds, in such a way that is quite alarming.

So I'm choosing to back way off. And I say this with full realization that some of you are only reading this because you got to my blog from my FB page. But I don't care if that makes this hypocritical. These times they are a changin' and I'm going to respond to that by backing off of FB.

But not backing off of Twitter or Google+ so feel free to find me there. And no, I'm not removing the button below that allows you to share this on FB. Don't try to understand my decisions......

No comments:

Post a Comment