But you aren't a sailor...

Inspired by friends, I've created a list of 101 things I'd like to accomplish in 1001 days. As with most things in life, it's better to go through them with other people, so if you'd like to help me do any of the things on my list, let me know. Thanks for being part of my adventure!

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

75. Play Tennis

I didn't even remember this one was on the list when I ended up playing tennis this weekend.


I am terrible at pretty much all sports, including tennis, but for some reason I felt like it would be good to play a round as part of my 101 list. Maybe it goes back to the days of PE class on the tennis courts when we thought it was fun to run around and look like idiots.

Saturday, however was in a league of its own. My roommate's parents (Mr. and Mrs. Brown) live a little over an hour away from where we are in Arlington and yesterday they hosted about a dozen of us for what they call "Camp Brown." Competitions in putting, golf, and tennis ensued and champions emerged from the crowd. I was not one of them, no big surprise there. We all then feasted on grilled, baked, cooked, mixed and melted foods after our day in the sun. It was a good day.

I was equally poor at all of the sporting events, placing last in each - I even managed to escape any responsibility on my team's speed golf turn because my teammates were good enough to place the ball on the green in 2 shots. (We had 4 folks posted at different spots on the hole - my responsibility was to get the ball from the 2nd shot location onto the green. My team's driver and 2nd shot were both so good that I quickly became unnecessary. I did not mind that in the least.)

But anyway, back to tennis.

So I was partnered with Mrs. Brown, who gave me helpful pointers all along, but her good instructions couldn't work magic on someone as inexperienced and unskilled as I. We had 2 game wins out of a possible 8, or in other words, we lost 6 games. I am pretty confident I made contact with the ball fewer times than I swung and missed.

So even though it may not count as technically
playing tennis due to my lack of actual contribution to the game, I'm still counting it!

Much thanks is due to the Brown family for hosting a great day of activity and unbeknownst to them, helping me cross of another item on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment