But you aren't a sailor...

Inspired by friends, I've created a list of 101 things I'd like to accomplish in 1001 days. As with most things in life, it's better to go through them with other people, so if you'd like to help me do any of the things on my list, let me know. Thanks for being part of my adventure!

Sunday, August 22, 2010

33. Make pillow covers for the pillows on my bed

I think the first thing that I had a hand in sewing was a skirt my mom made for me when I was in Jr. High. It was red and white tablecloth checkered material with gigantic black ants in the print too.

I thought it was a very clever fabric design. I wore it with a white blouse that had a small petal collar. And yes, I definitely thought I was stylish.

After some lessons from my mom, over the years I have made......about 6 things in total: purses out of pants I bought at Goodwill, pillows for my freshman dorm room, and a seersucker skirt.

Fast forward to today, about 15 years after the "picnic skirt" and my sewing skills have somewhat progressed, but I still stick to basically making simple things like pillow covers.

So -- I wanted an upgrade for my bedroom - wanted something with a little color. I bought a panel curtain and made a throw/accent thing for the end of my bed as well as two pillow covers from it. I'm pretty pleased with the end result -- Just don't look too closely because I'm pretty sure I still can't sew in a straight line....

The machine - courtesy of my downstairs neighbor...who also happens to be my sister...In progress:



The final products:

4 comments:

  1. I love your pillows, MB! So pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, that's pretty much amazing! Great job! (I totally remember that seersucker skirt!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Cute!!! Wanna come seamstress some cute things for my bedroom? Make it look less teenage/dorm room? That'd be great! Good good job on this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thaaaaanks y'all! Kat - I'm not sure how well a sewing machine will travel on an NYC-DC bus, but maybe we can work something out :)

    ReplyDelete