But you aren't a sailor...

Inspired by friends, I've created a list of 101 things I'd like to accomplish in 1001 days. As with most things in life, it's better to go through them with other people, so if you'd like to help me do any of the things on my list, let me know. Thanks for being part of my adventure!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

5. Go see a live music show of a local band that I don’t know much about


Alright, so this was a one-man band, but it still counts. He was opening for a non-local. And honestly, this is a difficult post to write.

Christian musician. Terrible songwriter. Awkward performer.

I tried to crop the photo so that you'll never be able to know who it is. I don't want to be mean or discouraging, but, honestly, it was really awful.

I thought about expounding at length upon why arts are critical and what I get out of good live music shows, but I'm going to keep this brief instead.

Can we all just agree to help each other out here?

Let's all take a pledge together:
I, (your name here), promise to encourage friends of mine that are pursuing the arts by pushing them to create good art, not rewarding and applauding bad art. I acknowledge that flattery and empty praise only hurts them in the long-run and that the last thing we need in the art world is people who are told they are good when they aren't, and then they end up humiliating themselves during American Idol auditions.


And if you are a Christian, please continue the pledge with this addendum:

I also promise to not settle for bad Christian music just because it contains true words. I will not feel guilty for not liking a Christian artist's work and I will push my fellow Christians who are artists to keep striving for good art, not just easy art.


Thank you~

No comments:

Post a Comment